Wednesday, August 19, 2009

psalms 4:6-7

so today i did it. i read and responded to my emails/facebook this morning and then when i was done eating my breakfast i shut my computer and put my bible on top of it. i did not check emails or facebook again all day, until now that the kids are in bed. so instead of walking by and checking out whats new on the internet, i read and re-read a verse i found today while doing my devos.

psalms 4:6-7 from the message
"why is everyone hungry for more? 'more, more,' they say.
'more, more.'
I have God's more-than-enough,
More joy in one ordinary day
Then they get in all their shopping sprees.
At day's end i'm ready for sound sleep,
For you, God, have put my life back together."

this verse hit me this morning and i have been thinking about it all day. most days i feel hungry for "more"... more bonnie time, more dave time, more obedient children, more money, ( i could go on) . i long for the time when i can say God is my more-than-enough and find joy in the ordinary days. as a mom i am coming to realize that most of my days are ordinary, mundane days. i need to be ok with that and find joy in these days.

so the kids are in bed now and i get to check out my emails and facebook. it is a good feeling, feeling like i accomplished something that really means something. something small but a step in the right direction i guess.

mom and dad, thanks for your comments. love you guys. thanks for being good role models for daily time with the lord all these years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this!! I feel like you can see in my head and speak my thoughts! Just know there are other moms right there with you. I read something last night that really encouraged me to give my kids the best of what I have, not the leftovers. They are the work we do each day - just connecting with them, not everything else. You're awesome.

mom said...

the last two lines spoke volumes, thanks for sharing. even after 29 years at this homemaker, stat at home mom,taxi driver, volleyball mom and all the other hats we moms wear throughout our day to read and see where others are being blessed.... it is good! love you for being real.